Wednesday, June 1, 2016

May Favorites 2016

Can you believe that we are one month away from being halfway through 2016? I feel like this year has flown by faster than I could say I won't break my new years resolutions (which I totally did). Now that school is over and summer has begun (for us college kids, anyway!) I am very intent on blogging consistantly. Yes, I say that approximately 99% of the time, so hopefully this time I will actually follow through. ;)

The first half of May was a blur of late night study sessions, endless final papers, and a ton of coffee, and the second half has thankfully been slower: lazy mornings, afternoon shifts at work, and free nights. In an attempt to put my social life back together (I always let it fall through the cracks around finals), I met two of my best friends for lunch at a new gourmet grilled cheese shop nearby. And, yes, it was as delicious as it looks.


Makeup

  • L'Oreal True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation: After hearing a good review of this product from a planner girl/YouTuber, I took the plunge and ordered this on Amazon. The color I chose was a tad too dark for me (but wearable and will be perfect with a tan) but works, especially considering I was going by online swatch pictures. This foundation is of the cushion ones, which I wasn't keen on originally, but I actually am liking this one. The coverage is super buildable, the finish is pretty, and it's easy to apply: I just take a buffing-style brush and put it directly on the cushion. So far, so good!
  • Hikari blush in Tango: I've talked about this blush before, but recently brought it back out and have been loving it. This is one of those gems from a beauty subscription service (either Birchbox or Ipsy, I can't remember) that I actually use the heck out of. It's a pretty, matte bright pink powder that adds a nice flush to my complexion. 
  • CoverGirl Clump Crusher mascara: This might just be my favorite drugstore mascara of all time. I'm sure I've gushed about this before, but it's absolutely marvelous: it gives a natural effect that gives length and volume, but as advertised, it doesn't clump. I prefer a natural look with my makeup, so this is perfect in my opinion. Plus, it's from the drugstore. Can you get better than that?
  • Essie "Fiji": The first thing to go in my beauty routine when I'm swamped with schoolwork is painting my nails, so when I completed my last final and handed in my last paper I was eager to give myself a manicure. The polish of choice for the momentous occasion? Essie's Fiji, a light, opaque, milky pink that looks pretty, clean, and downright polished. Pun intended. 
Skincare, Hair Care, and Body Products

Lush Cupcake is not pictured.....sorry!
  • Lush Cupcake Mask: I did a full review of this a while back (linked here) so I won't go into too much detail, but this is a wonderful option if you're breaking out. It smells and looks exactly like the name implies, is comfortable to wear, and works wonders for me. Fresh face masks from Lush are more like treat products for me, as they only last a few weeks, but whenever I'm in a store I typically pop one of these guys into my basket. 
  • Ole Henkrison The Clean Truth Face Wipes: I've been wanting to try these forever and actually purchased the travel version during the Sephora $10 kit Black Friday event and never got around to giving them a whirl. With an endless budget, these would be my go to for face wipes: they smell devine, take off makeup like a dream, and feel lushious on my skin.While I'll never buy them at full price, I will definitely pick these up if they have the deal again next holiday season (plus they came part of a duo with a face cleanser that my mom loved--double score!). 
  • Not Your Mother's Naughty to Nice Detangular: This is one of those products that got tossed to the wayside when something just slightly more intriguing came along (the It's a 10 Miracle Leave In, to be exact). In an attempt to go through some of my beauty stash, I decided I wasn't cracking open my new bottle of the It's a 10 until I finished this one. Except a funny thing happened, I actually love this: it works really well and smells nice, plus my hair feels good when I use it. Sure, I love my more expensive version and will happily use up that new bottle, but I may just stick with my NYM version. 
  • Bath and Body Works "Endless Weekend" Fragrance Mist: I'm terrible at talking about fragrance, but I do like this one. I prefer body sprays for everyday, casual wear, and this is the one I'm currently using. It's pretty, feminine, sweet, and floral, which is a little different than my usual scent preference (a good rule of thumb for me is that if it smells like you can eat it, I probably like it). You can't go wrong buying some of these babies from B&BW during a sale!
Fashion

  • Beige Sperry Topsiders: I bought these from DSW last summer and have worn the heck out of them. Sperry's in general are insanely comfortable and verstile and these are no exception. I throw these on with virtually anything and they make an outfit look that much more put together. 
  • Forever 21 sunglasses: Sunglasses are pretty self explainatory, but I still like these; they're black plastic frames that are  a wayfayer style that are comfortable and go with everything. Plus, they look cute resting on the top of my head and holding my hair back, which is actually very important to me in a pair of shades. 
  • Lightwash jeans: I never thought the day would come where I would willingly reach for light wash denim over my beloved dark wash. I have a pair of clean straight leg jeans from American Eagle in a light wash and they just look really cute for the summer. Cuffed at the ankle with a basic tee and my Sperry's, they make for a cute, quick outfit when I'm too lazy to put on something else. 
  • Faux-Pandora wrap bracelet: I've wanted something in this style for a while now. I love my Pandora charms, but wearing the whole bracelet is sometimes too heavy for me to be functional. I picked up this fake-leather knock-off version for cheap online and have been just transforing a charm or two at a time for a more every day look, and I love it. 
Lifestyle & Random

  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf: Yes, I am a huge Animal Crossing fan. I recently picked up my Nintendo 3DS and now am absolutely determined to finally mastering this game. It's just a fun hobby for me that I've liked for a while. If you haven't given AC a chance, I recommend it!
  • The O.C. (can be watched on Hulu): My friend introduced me to this show and it's really good. The creator is the mastermind behind Gossip Girl, and the show definitely has elements of Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill. If you like drama, I reccomend it! The storyline follows Ryan, a trouble teen who is taken in by a wealth family in a rich Californian area as he tries to fit into his new surrondings. If I could sum up the series in two words, they would be: dramatic and addicting. 
  • Dunkin Donuts Chocolate Glazed Donut K-Cups: My family finally entered the modern world and got a Keurig, and it's seriously a coffee lover's dream. I prefer flavored coffee any day, and Dunkin Donuts eternally trumps anything else, so this flavor seemed like a no-brainer. Surprise, surprise, it's delicious and works well with virtually any creamer. 
  • Etsy Fav - Little Paper Prints: Over the past couple of months, I've become an active member of the planner community, which will certainly be showing on this blog in the upcoming months, so I'm going to start including a sticker/shop favorite. This month, it's Little Paper Prints. I haven't tried any of her kit, but I did pick up some of her functional/icon stickers and they are amazing! The quality is awesome and the designs are perfect for the purpose. I'm in love!
And I think that's it for May! I hope you're all ready for some more consistant content because that will hopefully definitely be coming. 
      


No comments:

Post a Comment