Thursday, June 2, 2016

My (Ongoing) College Experience: A Summary

I was nervous transitioning from high school to college. As a person who loves to know exactly how things are going to work, I hated the fact that I was going to go from a routine I had lived for the greater majority of my life--being a student in a public school--to a routine that was completely foreign. Sure, you always hear about college being the greatest years of your life and yadda yadda yadda, but the whole idea terrified me from the day I started my senior year of high school and realized that application time had started.

Because of my reservations, I chose a college that was close by; a place where I was far enough away from my hometown that I could really get the "typical college" feeling of starting in a new place with new people, but close enough that I could live at home and still feel safe and comfortable. After I committed to my school, I regretted it. I mean, most of my friends were going to schools that are farther away. But all of those regrets and hesitations drained away within my first week on my campus. And through my ongoing journey that I also call my college years, I've definitely transitioned and learned a thing or two.



1. Physical appearance isn't everything. I used to be the girl who never left the house without the bare minimum of concealer, powder, mascara, and a tinted lip balm. I would stay up late to make sure my nails were perfectly polished, get up early to curl my hair before school, and end every night with a face mask. However, college gave me new perspective: you don't always have to be perfectly polished in every way and sometimes it's necessary to do the bare minimum. Don't get me wrong, I still love beauty, and I try to utilize my closet to the best of my abilities every day (mostly because I want to use everything that I have), but I've learned that an extra couple of hours of sleep is worth unpolished nails and natural hair.

2. You are more than your GPA. I come from a very academically successful family and all throughout high school I was programmed into equating myself to my grades. I've learned in college that while grades are very important (I don't want it to seem at all that I'm saying otherwise) but they're not everything. The overall college experience and being happy with what you're doing and who you are is equally as important. I've put my all into a class to come out with a B-. I've studied for hours to get a C on a quiz or worked furiously for days to do not-so-well on a paper. It doesn't make you any less of a student or any worse of a person. 

3. The "Freshman Fifteen" is real and it's terrifying. As a commuter student, I thought I was invincible to the infamous weight gain. Between class, my commute itself, studying, homework, work, and trying to have somewhat of a personal life. I often miss dinner (aka, the nice home-cooked meals my friends who went away envy), meaning that I've often had to resort to grabbing a meal on the fly or fixing something quick at home, which is usually something frozen or a sandwich. However, health is important. Eating like crap makes you feel like crap, so it's important to make time for a decent meal. Of course, sometimes that's not an option--but don't make it a habit. 

4. Pick a hobby you love and make time for it. It doesn't have to be crazy: mine is television. I have a few shows that I love (Once Upon a Time, Grey's Anatomy, New Girl, and The Big Bang Theory are my top picks currently airing) and I make time to watch the latest episodes every week. Most of this happens via my beloved Hulu + Amazon Fire TV combination while I'm putting away laundry or right before I fall asleep for the night, but it still makes me feel like I'm doing something for myself, which is a big deal. Plus, if I have a little extra time--a rarity--I can add to my list easily (Grandfathered, The Grinder, and basically anything on FoodNetwork or HGTV are up there for me, too!). 

5. A planner is a necessity. Sure, I'm planner crazy: I have an Erin Condren, a personal sized ring binder with inserts, and a Happy Planner that's specifically schoolwork. You definitely don't need to be like me, but a planner of some sort is crucial for a college student. My school gives them out for free in our Student Affairs office, but you can also pop into CVS or Walgreens and get one for dirt cheap. Jotting down assignment due dates, work schedules, and personal plans and having that all in one space is a luxury most people don't take advantage of. I don't think I would be able to handle everything without it. 

I could keep listening things, because honestly, I've learned so much from my ongoing college experience. I can't wait to see what the next few years bring. 

What's your biggest college tip?
      


No comments:

Post a Comment