Monday, August 1, 2016

July Favorites 2016

July is always a bittersweet month because it means that summertime is halfway over. I mean, sure, August is filled with sweltering days, beach trips, and as much iced coffee as I can drink (which is a lot) but there is always a reminder in the air of back to school approaching rapidly. As a college student, I can say that I'm not exactly dreading starting classes (gasp) but that doesn't mean that the second that I'm drowning in reading assignments and papers I won't be missing my freedom and commitmentless bliss.

For the first time in a while, I've began to try out new products. For a long time I was destashing and just repurchasing new holy grails as I finished them, but I am finally back to experimenting and I must say that I have missed it. Along with rediscovering my love for discovering, July also held my favorite annual vacation--so pictured above is my lakefront view at my family's favorite vacation spot in the Poconos.



Skincare
  • Lush Cup o' Coffee: This is one of those products that I kind of wish wasn't as amazing as it seems, because I know I will be tempted to pick up a new one whenever I pop into a Lush store. The combination of coffee with an exfoliating face and body mask is so amazing on it's on. I normally just use this as a body exfoliater before I shave and it makes the shaving process so much smoother (pun intended).  $10.95 for a 5.2oz container, Lush stores. 
  • Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Cream: I've been using up my sample collection and stumbled across this gem. Nighttime eye creams are not something I'm usually particular with, but gosh, is this stuff good. It's thick and creamy and makes my eye area feel moisturized and protected. Full size: $58 fora 0.5oz jar, Seophora.com.
  • Simple Protecting Light Moisturizer with SPF 15: As someone with a medium complexion, I never used to worry about sunscreen because I very rarely burn. But as I grew older and immersed myelf in skincare, I realized how blantly dumb that is. This moisturizer from Simple is my favorite for my face: I mix it in with my normal face cream (it's just not moisturizing enough on its own for my dry skin) and let it work it's wonders. $11.29 for a 4.2oz container, drugstores.

Hair Care
  • Garnier Pure Clean Shampoo + Hydra Recharge Conditioner: Garnier is one of my favorites for drugstore hair care and I recently decided to try this cleaning combination. My thought process when purchasing was that the shampoo would clarify and de-gunk all of the product I use during the warmer months (hello detangler, sea salt spray, and extra dry shampoo) while the conditioner would lock in moisture to my naturally dry hair. So far, so good! In combination with a defrizzing serum, this combination is working for me. $3.99 for each 13oz botte, drugstore. 

Cosmetics
  • No Makeup: Although I do have makeup favorites this month, but ultimate favorite has been not wearing any. College has definitely helped me get over my fear of not looking perfectly polished 100% of the time, and this month I've gone without my face way more than I've gone with it. Summer is a great opportunity to let your skin breathe before under eye concealer is an actual necessity and I've been taking advantage of it. 
  • Elf Translucent Mattifying Powder: When I have worn makeup, this powder has been great. Translucent powders are wonderful for when your skin is going through a shade transition (hello, tanning) because they always match. When my trusty Rimmel Stay Matte finally gave out on me, I pulled this guy out of my collection and let it work its magic.$3, drugstores. 
  • Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara: Another product that I've been using a sample of, this mascara is great for nights when I want my makeup to look a little more glam, For me, a girl who prefers natural and defined lashes always, it doesn't hold a candle to my Covergirl Clump Crusher.However, it is great for a more dramatic option. $21, Sephora.com.
  • Benefit Sugarbomb Lipgloss: I have nothing more to say about this other than it's a perfect shimmery pink gloss for summer with an amazing formulation: it's creamy, moisturizing, and just pigmented enough to add a little something something. $16, Benefitcosmetics.com
  • Essie "I Am Strong": With the neutral polish trend still holding strong, I dug this out of my collection to give myself a pedicure. I'm not usually a lighter varnish fan when it comes to my toes, but I think that this is my new favorite. It's a perfect neutral pink that is creamy and opaque and just darn pretty. $9, drugstores.

Fashion
  • Old Navy shorts: I feel like I've been living in these the past few weeks, and considering that I paid less than five dollars for them at an end of summer clearance sale last fall, I would say that I am getting my money's worth. They are just super comfortable, flattering, and they have pockets (a selling point for me). Plus, the pattern is cute enough to be interesting and look like I put in effort getting dressed, but not bold enough where it's hard to match. 
  • Lauren Conrad Flip Flops: It's no secret that Lauren Conrad is my favorite designer (I stalk Kohls.com for her new collections) so when I saw these flip flops I knew I needed them: they're comforable, durable, and so, so cute. I prefer sneakers and flats over sandals any day, so you know I'm obsessed when I choose these over my beloved rubber soles. 

Miscellaneous 
  • The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider: I cannot believe that I haven't read this book sooner. I can't even begin to describe the fantasticness that is this piece of literature and how absorbed I automatically became in it (I read the entire thing in 24 hours), The book tells the story of Ezra as he faces his true tragedy in life (a theme being that everyone gets one). If you haven't read it--read it. Quickly. 
  • The Fundamentals of Caring: As soon as I saw this in Netflix's new releases section, I knew I needed to watch it. Paul Rudd? Selena Gomez? A story that can be categorized along the same lines as The Perks of Being a Wallflower? Heck yeah. This plot follows a middle-aged man as he becomes a caregiver to a disabled teen and they help each other face their problems.
  • Disney Emoji Blitz: When my mom becomes addicted to a new app, I often don't give it a second glance. Except this app allows you to play to unlock Disney emojis that can be used on your keyboard. I play all of the time, and cross my fingers everytime I unlock a new emoji hoping that it's Tinkerbell or Stitch,  
And I think that that is everything! My main goals for August are to focus on my health and prepare for school (Staples and Target supply shopping is the best) as well as keeping my beauty routine updated and fresh. Let's see how this goes. ;) 

      



No comments:

Post a Comment