Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Top Two: Bronzers

So I think I'm going to make this series the sort of thing where I pick my current favorite high-end and drugstore picks of a specific product and post the reviews together, so if you want to indulge in a luxury product, there's a review for you, but there's also an inexpensive option for those who don't necessarily love to shell out $25 dollars for a mascara. So I'm going to start with something I either use religiously or neglect entirely: bronzer.


I'll admit it: my drugstore bronzer of choice, which is the NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny, is a little basic. But while I found my high-end pick, the Honey Bronzer from The Body Shop in color number three, from a vlogger, I haven't heard too many people talk about it. 


We'll start off with NYC Sunny. There's a reason that 99% of beauty bloggers have raved about this product at one point or another. I was worried that the color would be a little light for me, but it's nice for adding some color to my face on a daily basis. The powder itself is smooth and pigmented, but not so pigmented that it's difficult to use. The packaging is...eh. It is definitely not the prettiest, but it's not the worst either. The price is roughly $2.79 (based on cvs.com) for 0.33oz of product. Overall, this is something I think that every beauty lover should own--it's the best drugstore bronzer I've found thus far. 


I don't know if this officially qualifies as a high end product, but it certainly isn't drugstore. The Body Shop Honey Bronzer (I wear color number 03) is my all-time favorite bronzer. I don't know exactly what about the formulation makes it so different that I prefer it over the rest in my collection, but I do. I love this for contouring (I typically only contour my cheekbones, just FYI) but it's almost just light enough to use versatilely. The detailing of the packaging makes it worth every penny in my book: the honeycomb embossed pattern, the gorgeous, sturdy compact, and the lid-sized mirror. This retails at $20 for 0.39oz of powder, but The Body Shop does amazing sales all of the time--right now this is on their website for $12!


The left swatch is NYC and the right is The Body Shop. As you can see, the honey bronzer is significantly more pigmented, but it's easy to sheer out. NYC Sunny can sometimes lean a little orange on my skin tone, which is why I think that The Body Shop version just beats it to the top. 

What's your favorite bronzer?
      

No comments:

Post a Comment