Thursday, January 29, 2015

Reviewed: NARS Lip Gloss in Sixties Fan

Over the past six months or so, my makeup taste has shifted. I learned to focus on wearing shades that suit my skin tone as opposed to what is on trend or popular for the current moment. Instead of reaching for the peachy-pinks and corals, which don't necessarily look bad on me, just not the best, I've expanded my stash of rose, berries, and darker red hues which, while definitely an older range of colors, look best against my medium-light skin tone. NARS Sixties Fan was one of my first big investments in that color category, and the color is exactly what I'm looking for: a deep raspberry.


As with all NARS products (especially the stuff they are updating), the packaging is simple, timless, and lovely. This is the kind of gloss you pull out of your bag and feel instantly glamourous just for owning it. 



Sephora.com describes Sixties Fan as simply a "pomegranate." I would agree, but I'll try to go a tad more indepth: it's an opaque, deep berry cream that leans on the warm side of the spectrum. If you like glosses that don't need a lipstick underneath them, this one is for you! The finish is also thick and glossy, and you definitely need to sit down and pay attention while applying it--so not the best for on the go. 


In terms of longevity, this is pretty solid. I never put a product on my lips without a moisturizer underneath, so it's not drying on my lips but it also stays put. And if you're concerned about the formulation being sticky, it's not! I love MAC lip glasses because they last for ages, but some of them are so sticky and gloopy. NARS lip glosses (the original ones anyone, I'm not sure about the Larger than Life line) are completely smooth. 


The swatch above is one quick swipe (and it leans more red on camera, but I promise it's a true berry shade). The color can definitely be built up, and I've even gotten the teensiest bit on my wand and sheered it out--but I wouldn't buy this to do that, especially at the price. NARS lip glosses go for $26 and are available wherever NARS cosmetics are sold. I purchased this off of Sephora.com. Because counters tend to stock their most popular colors first, I'm not sure if the in-store availability of this is as good as others in the line (think Turkish Delight). Do I reccomend this? Yes, but only if you are someone who goes for bold lip colors...and someone who likes to splurge on cosmetics!

What lip colors do you like best?
      





No comments:

Post a Comment