Sunday, August 31, 2014

August Favorites 2014

August is always the saddest month to see end. While I'm dreading sitting in class all day as much as the next girl, I think it's time to embrace the approaching autumn. Since I was traveling for almost half of the month, a lot of my favorites stem from my trip, starting with my picture/experience favorite: taking a helicopter ride and landing on a glacier. This snap is a sneaky selfie I took with my mom in the helicopter!





Makeup
  • CoverGirl Aqua Smooth Makeup: Since my summer tan has made it impossible for me to use my favorite foundations, I've switched ton this one for the time being. It's really light and smooth, but it has more of a medium coverage, which is a bit heavier then I'm used to. I do really love it though, and I'll happily use it as my base makeup until my skin lightens up again.
  • City Color Intense Blush Quad: While shopping in Five Below, a discount store, I picked this up not having high hopes for it at all. I had never heard of the band and it was only four dollars, but since there's not an abundance of drugstore blush palettes, I figured I'd give it a go. Well, great decision on my part. The formulations on all of the powders are great, and the color selection is awesome. I don't know much about City Color as a brand, but I'd like to know more!
  • Jordana Fabu Liner in Black: I'm not a huge liquid liner person. I tend to only use it if I'm going out at night, but I've found my new favorite. This is so opaque, glides on like a dream, and is easy to use. Best of all? It was only $1.99 at Walgreen's.
  • Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet: Okay, I'm very much aware that this isn't a summer color. But I just love how darker reds and berry colors look with my skin tone, so I've been dabbing a little bit of this as an every day lip color. I can't wait until wearing colors like this more seasonably appropriate. 
  • Nivea A Kiss of Care&Color in Sheer Berry: I reviewed this in a a post a few days ago so I won't talk too much about it. It's one of my new favorite products and I'm definitely going to check out the rest of the line.

Hair Care
  • Psssst! Dry Shampoo: Dry shampoo is one of those products that I need to have on hand at all times. My favorite is the Suave Dry Shampoo, since I couldn't find a travel size, I picked up the Psssst! one. I love this, but it's no better than the one I use, and the price of the mini is the same as the full size of the Suave one. That being said, I really enjoy this and I'll use it happily until it's out but probably won't repurchase in a full size.
  • Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Beach Spray: I just can never justify breaking out a curling iron on a regular basis. Texturizing spray is my favorite thing, and I've really been enjoying this one. It's one of those awesome beauty box samples (this is from July's Ipsy bag) that just turns out being absolutely amazing.


Miscellaneous Beauty
  • Mad Gab's Moisturizing Moose Balm: Alright, let me explain. I bought this in Alaska, looking for some products made in the state, and the company operates out of Denali. It's a skin salve type balm that moisturizes dry skin like a dream, and the scent is light and lemony. I really love this! The company is available online and has retailers all over the country, so accessibility to this is pretty great.
  • Victoria's Secret Pink Fresh&Clean Body Mist: Fresh&Clean is my favorite scent from Victoria's Secret, and I've gotten back into using the body mist. It's a light scent that's exactly as described, and it's perfect for everyday. 
  • Johnson's Baby Shampoo: I've heard that this is the best thing to deep clean makeup brushes, and my goodness, it is. I've tried brush shampoos and haven't been overly impressed, but this gets a great lather and really digs deep down and gets all of the gunk out of my makeup brush bristles.

Fashion
  • LC by Lauren Conrad Sailboat Skirt: Can we talk about how cute this is?! It's a swishy, cotton skirt with a painting-esque design of sailboats sailing in the water. My only regret is that I didn't buy this at the beginning of the season (it's really not somethign that can be transitioned into fall) but I will continue to wear the heck out of it until I can't!
  • Gray Hoodie from Kohl's: I have found my new favorite sweatshirt. It's light, fitted, so comfortable, and goes with absolutely everything. Not to mention that it doesn't have a brand name or a logo anywhere on it, and it was less than fifteen dollars. Score!

Accessories
  • Forever21 Cross Body Bag: My brother gave me this for my birthday back in May (I may or may not have picked it out) and it is the perfect size. It's big enough to hold my essentials and a little extra, but not so big that I cram my entire bedroom into it. I've been using it all month and I dread the day that it wears out or breaks.
  • DIY Canvas Shoes: After lusting after painted Toms on Etsy and Pinterest, my mom and I learned how to make them ourselves. I made these Harry Potter ones (just another sign of my mild obsession) and am wearing them far more often then you'd think.
  • Scrunchies: I hauled these a few weeks ago and yeah, I'm aware that this isn't the 90's. But I've seen a lot of vloggers start using these again, and I've actually been liking them. I still much prefer the ribbon style hair ties, but these are great for home and look cute on my wrist!

Random
  •  Husky Dogs: Is it weird that one of my favorites for the month is a breed of dogs? I mentioned in my Alaskan Adventure post that I went to see the husky dogs and I've been slightly puppy crazed ever since. This little guy (his name is Olaf from the Frozen liter!) was one of my favorites. Isn't he just so cute and cuddly?
  • Ugly Betty: Last month I talked about Freaks and Geeks, this month it's Ugly Betty. Gosh, Netflix, why do you do this to me? The show follows around Betty Suarez (aka, America Ferrera...love!), a plain looking girl who ends up working in a high profile fashion magazine. Not only is it funny, but it's tastefully done. I find when some shows do sever drama it ends up just being cheesy (I'm looking at you, later years of Degrassi) but that's not the case here. It's just great, and I'm so excited to finish it.
  • The Other Woman: My mom and I watched this movie on the plane and it was actually laugh out loud funny. The story follows Kate, who finds out that her husband is seeing two other women on the side. The three girls (one being Cameron Diaz) team up to expose the cheater for what he is. I really enjoyed watching it!
  • Happier App: I'm kind of cheesy. And that explains why I love this app so much. It's essentially a place for people to post the little things in their days that make them happy and then you can read through them all on a feed. There's just something about reading things that put a smile on someone's face that puts a smile on my face. 
  • The Jonas Brothers: I don't know about anyone else, but I really enjoyed the Jonas Brothers when they first started out (think their first two albums) and I've been listening the heck out of their older albums. My favorite songs have been Lovebug, Sorry. Hold On, and When You Look Me in the Eyes.


What have you been loving this month?
Alyssa




No comments:

Post a Comment