Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Haul: Makeup + Travel Beauty Essentials


I'm currently typing this while in a hotel room on vacation, but I'll talk more about where I actually am in a whole separate post when I'm back snuggled in my own bed (to be fair, I didn't actually ever get to finish this post, nor write any others to pre-post, but I'm back snuggled in my own bed so I'll be back to writing on a regular basis). I did, however, go shopping before I left, and I may have gone a tad overboard. But something that's good about me is that when I go shopping for things to accompany me on vacation, I bring it all and use it all, so none of this is going to waste.



I started out in the grocery store's beauty section and then ended up divulging a little in Walgreen's--a rarity for me. I tend to stick to Target or other stores where beauty products are discounted (think Walmart, K-Mart, The Christmas Tree Shop) for my drugstore beauty unless there's a really great sale, but I couldn't get to a Target I left, so I dug a little deeper and made some impulse buys.



I was in desperate need of a new mascara, so I picked up the CoverGirl Clump Crusher (in Very Black). Surprisingly and despite all of the hype around it when it first launched, I had never tried it. I'm more of a Maybelline mascara person for sure, but this one is actually really great. Since I had a $3 off of two CoverGirl products coupon, I picked up an eye shadow trio in Cafe au lait. Because I was flying, I didn't  bring any expensive powders with me, so I decided to give something new a whirl. I also threw the Jordana Fabu Liner in black into my basket. I'm not a huge liquid liner person, but I think I've found a winner with this guy. I'll probably do separate reviews of all of these products in individual posts, so I won't spend too much time talking about them now. 

                            

Nivea Soft is my favorite facial moisturizer, so I was picking up a travel sized when I came across the brand's newest lip balms. Nivea's A Kiss of Milk and Honey is my absolute favorite (as are all of their lip balms) so I may or may not have squealed when I saw this. The line is A Kiss of Care&Color and I picked up Sheer Berry, a really gorgeous true-to-name shade that I find looks really nice on my skin tone. I am so excited about this and I can't wait to write up a full review.



Next up, the grocery store. I finally caved and bought myself some travel containers. I've passed on these, but I found them for ninety-nine cents for a package of two, and since planes have weight limits on luggage, I didn't want to lug completely bottles of certain products. I ended up using one for shampoo (I have a travel sized conditioner), one for toner, one for hair oil, and one for makeup remover and they worked out well and didn't spill or break, which I was afraid of.


A beauty lover can't travel without picking up some minis of her favorites. Simple's Cleansing Facial Wipes are my favorite for removing face makeup (I use a liquid remover for my eyes) so I got a package. I also picked up two Dove products: the GoFresh Cool Essentials Cucumber and Green Tea deoderant and the matching body wash. I rarely use hotel toiletries (incidentally, where I was staying had Elemis products, so I used them happily) so I always bring body wash me with (and I love this fresh, clean scent). Then my Pssssssst! Dry Shampoo, which is fantastic but I'll never pay for it again--the cost this was just as much as a full-sized of my favorite one) and a little big of hairspray: Tresseme Tres Two Extra Firm Control, which I like enough to keep repurchasing travel sized but not enough to buy a full size, if that makes sense.


And finally, I bought some hair ties. I've been officially converted to the ribbon hair ties for a few months now, and I'm never going back. Not only do they hold my hair better, but they don't kink it plus they look cute both in my ponytail and on my wrist. I also picked up a package of scrunchies (please refrain from judging) and I really loved wearing the cream one until I unfortunately misplaced it, but I'll definitely get just as much use out of the other four as I'd hoped.

What have you purchased recently?
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment