Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Craft Corner: Re-Purposing Your Birchbox

I've been subscribed to Birchbox for quite some time now, and every month I have a hard time throwing out the cardboard box that all of the products come in. I'm a massive fan of organizing my things into containers, and the Birchboxes are not only a great size, but fairly sturdy and are great for both drawers and tabletops. The one problem? They're not the most attractive thing to look at, meaning that they're not the ideal decor piece. But luckily, that can be easily solved with my new craft best friend: washi tape.

I need to apologize for the shadows in these pictures...because
I was photographing on a white background if I used flash the
whole picture would wash out! Trust me...I tried.


I've been covering all of my old Birchboxes with some cute washi tape and filling them for cute and inexpensive tabletop storage and I really like it! Sure, it's simplistic and obvious, but it's been really useful for me. 


What You Will Need:
  • An empty Birchbox, or any other box you want to redecorate (I tend to use the bottom half for tabletop storage since it's a little bit deeper, and save the more shallow top half for drawers!)
  • Washi Tape in any pattern or multiple patterns you like best! I used a multi-colored owl pattern and a sparkly blue.
  • Scissors


I had some difficulty photographing the actual tapping process, but I didn't want to not include a photo, so you get this mess of a thing. All I did was secure the end of the tape to a corner of the box, and keep rolling the tape around the edges as steady as possible, pressing down as I went to ensure that there were no air bubbles. Once I circled the entire box, I snipped the tape with my scissor and started all over again with the other tape, overlapping slightly just to make sure that there were no spaces between the two strips. 


I was able to fit three strips of tape on this box, but depending on the width of your tape, you might fit more or less. I really love how this came out! Owls are one of my favorite animals (behind pandas, of course) and I like how the sparkly blue adds a bit of texture and a nice contrast.




This little guy ended up on my desk to hold all of the supplies I like to have handy and not in a drawer (basically paperclips, binder clips, some rubber bands and an eraser in the little cup, some Post-Its and index cards, tape, a mini stapler, a pencil sharpener, my extra hand-sanitizers, and my two rolls of washi tape) and I a tad obsessed with how cutesy and fun it looks! 

Do you re-purpose your Birchboxes in any way?
Alyssa




No comments:

Post a Comment