Thursday, July 17, 2014

Foodie Favorite: Mug Cake

I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes all I need after a long day is cake. Aside from not always feeling up to baking the second I develop my nightly  sweet tooth, usually as soon as the mixing bowls are washed and the oven cooled off, I dive in to more than just one slice. Which is why I had to search for the perfect solution, which I've found: mug cake.

Not only is it the perfect portion size for a single person (which really holds true to the everything-is-good-in-moderation rule), but it also is also so quick and simple that even the most novice baker can (and will!) master it after the first shot.
                     
     


What you will need:
    •1/3 cup of the mix, which includes one box of dry angel food cake mix combined with one box of dry chocolate or vanilla (depending on your preference) cake mix. One box must be angel food, but the other is completely optional! I used chocolate. Since the recipe only calls for 1/3 of a cup, I keep the rest in a plastic container (a Ziploc bag will work, too, just make sure to keep it sealed!). Tip: if you don't want to break out a measuring cup, 1/3 of a cup is equivalent to 5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon. 
   •3 tablespoons of water
   1 mug, preferably 12-16 ounces, just to make sure that the cake doesn't spill over.
   •A fork or spoon for mixing 



Directions:
    •Combine the dry mix and the water together directly in the mug, stirring thoroughly with a fork. Stirring is key! Just like with a normal cake, make sure that the wet and dry ingredients are completely combined. 
    •Pop the mug in the microwave, microwaving on high for 1 minute. Once it's finished, enjoy!


I couldn't manage to snap my picture before my brother snatched a forkful, but I ended up making him his own and was able to ward him off long enough to take this shot before he devoured his own. 

What's your favorite, easy dessert recipe?
Alyssa 

1 comment:

  1. Cookies made from a cake mix are quick and easy. Also, I love adding chocolate chips to my mug cake.

    ReplyDelete