Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Beauty Boxes: July 2014

I love beauty subscription boxes. Needless to say, I was more than ecstatic when these landed in my mailbox this morning. I've been subscribed to Birchbox for a while (well over a year) and a few months ago, I joined Ipsy after hearing an overwhelming amount of positive buzz. Both subscriptions are $10 a month, and both deliver 4-5 (mostly) deluxe beauty product samples.




This month Birchbox partnered with Women's Health magazine, and the premise was all around creating and maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle. The box itself (which is typically just brown with the brand's logo) was red and white with a fitness-inspired pattern, which was a really nice touch!


This month in my box:

  • Cynthia Rowley Beauty Silver Eyeliner (full size: $16)
  • Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk (full size: $18)
  • NAOBAY Body Radiance Lotion (full size: $24)
  • Supergoop! Advanced SPF 37 Anti-Aging Eye Cream (full size: $45)
  • 100% Pure Gingerade Shower Gel (full size: $15)
I also found a card for a free one-year subscription to Women's Health Magazine and a booklet including 12 challenges to positively change your lifestyle (both of which are lovely touches, in my opinion!). My selection of products excited me. All of the products are things I use regularly (especially the dry shampoo and body lotion), which means they are definitely going to go to good use. The only thing that upsets me are the foil packets. While working out the box value, I estimated the value of those packets to be roughly seven cents each. Stop with the foil packets, Birchbox! They are not deluxe samples, plus they ruined a box that would have been completely ideal for me.



This month's Ipsy products came in a neon-pink makeup bag with scalloped edging. Not necessarily my favorite bag they've done (I was in love with June's Rebecca Minkoff design) but nevertheless very summery and not at all a disappointment. Inside of the mail carrier but outside of the bag was a Healthy Sexy Hair product, so I was giddy before I even slid open the zipper. 



This month in my bag:
  • bareMinerals 5in1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eye Shadow (full size: $18)
  • Hang 10 Dark Tanning Oil (full size: $11.99 )
  • Pixi Beauty Tinted Brilliance Balm in Pretty Pink (full size: $14)
  • PopBeauty Bronzer in Secret Sunshine (full size: $10)
  • Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Beach Spray (full size: $19.95)
Just like with my Birchbox, I was really happy with the products included in my Ipsy bag! The bronzer looks gorgeous, the lip product looks like a great every-day shade, and the hair product is something I use almost every day in the summertime. The tanning oil isn't something I'd typically use, but I'm excited the try it. As for the shadow, the color seems more appropriate for Fall, but the premise draws me in! I prefer BB creams over foundations/tinted moisturizes, and I'm curious to see if it's just gimmicky or if it's something truly intriguing. 


Birchbox value: $27.97
Ipsy value: $28.75

What's your favorite beauty subscription service?
Alyssa


No comments:

Post a Comment