Friday, April 17, 2015

Makeup Collection & Storage: Overview

My spring break was very exciting: I spent it cleaning (I'm wild, I know). I took a lot of time to go through my belongings, ditching what I don't use and reorganizing what I do. One of the top items on my to-do list was my makeup collection, and I think that I did a pretty good job! Today's post is just going to be an overview, but I'll start doing more in-depth posts on the different categories (one for blushes, one for lipsticks, etc) within the next few weeks.


I store the majority of my collection in a set of three drawers that are built into my wall (the first two are for makeup, the third nail polish), but I keep my everyday stuff in this quilted makeup bag from Forever 21. It's just big enough to hold everything I need, but small enough that I don't overfill it. Right on top, there's my Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation, Anastasia brow gel, NYX blush in Pinched, and MAC lipstick in Syrup. I'll probably end up doing What's in my Everyday Makeup Bag? posts whenever I change the products out!




The first drawer is face, cheek, and lip products. I separated them out with plastic bins from The Dollar Tree and old Birchboxes (my favorite patterned ones, of course). I probably could have whittled down my lip products at least a little bit more, but oh well. Next time, right?


Starting at the bottom left corner in the purple bin is my cheek products: my Tarte Amazonian Clay blushes, some drugstore ones, a few different bronzers, and a bunch of highlighters. Up from that is my (huge, I know) stash of Revlon Lip Butters, and next is a small metal bucket with tinted lip balms. That goes into lipsticks and then glosses. The last, pink and orange box is face products, and I don't have too many of those: a few powders and concealers, a foundation, and two backup brow pencils.


The second drawer has a little less wiggle room. It houses eye products, palettes, and (mostly deluxe) samples. Again, I used two plastic bins from Dollar Tree, the other half of one of the Birchboxes, and a box I found in the dollar bin at Target.


Let's begin in the same spot as last time, shall we? The two plastic bins are both full of shadows: the one on the right has cream shadow bases and some singles whereas the one on the left has duos, trios, quads, and small palettes. Going clockwise is my small stack of larger palettes: the Urban Decay Ammo Palette, Stila In The Light, and two blush palettes: a Sephora one and a Benefit one. My two Elf blush quads are to the right along with my Bobbi Brown Mauve Face Palette. The gray box has all of my deluxe samples, which I often grab when I'm in the mood to try something new! And finally, the Birchbox has all of my pencils and liners--everything from cream shadows to gel liners. I don't typically keep extra mascara on hand (I like to use one up as opposed to having a bunch that go bad without being used), but if I did have an extra, it would go in this box.

And that's it! I'm very happy with the amount of products currently in my collection and am going to attempt to enforce a one-in-one-out rule for the next few months.

What's your best makeup organization tip?
     


No comments:

Post a Comment