Sunday, September 14, 2014

I Met Danielle Fishel + Book Review

It's no secret that I'm obsessed with Boy Meets World. It's one of my favorite television shows of all time (right with The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, and Friends). As I've gotten older, I've grown to really love Danielle Fishel, the actress who plays Topanga Lawrence, not only as an actress, but as a person. So you can imagine how ecstatic I was when a friend of mine invited me to go meet her at a book signing last week.




Unfortunately my picture with her is very blurry (never trust book store employees to take pictures for you). Obviously I didn't get to talk to her for a long time, but she was so genuinely happy and pleasant. She complimented everyone and personalized every book she signed!


Another blurry, zoomed in, half-blocked picture. Danielle did a reading and this is where my love for her grew. She read the chapter entitled "Sometimes They Wish I Was Adopted" which is where she tells stories relating to her parents. Just the way she read and spoke was captivating and genuine and lovely. I cannot oversell her as a person. In my opinion, she is such a great role model for younger girls and I hope that with Girl Meets World rising in popularity, more people start to look up to her. 


The book is titled Normally, This Would Cause for Concern. It's a memoir based on the thirty-three years of Danielle's life and in it she tells countless stories of growing up and her life as herself and her life as an actress. What's refreshing about the content is that she doesn't talk about Boy Meets World too much, she focuses on who she is off screen. The language is relatable, casual, and quirky, and is just a pleasure to read. I sometimes find memoirs to be slow and self-centered, but that is not the case with this one. It is genuinely a pleasure to read, so much so that I finished it the day after I got it--probably about two hours of reading time altogether (keep in mind, however, that I am a quick reader). 


(Can we just appreciate the fact that the quote on the back is from Ben Savage, aka Cory Matthews?! I love that. PS: There are quite a few Danielle and Ben stories in here, and I'm seriously in love with their friendship).The jacket is great, too: the front is Danielle decked out in a vintage, black and white dress, eating chocolate ice cream, which she spills on herself. The back features her holding a bunch of balloons in a cloudy background (isn't she just gorgeous? She's just as stunning in person). I like this so much that I'm going to display this on a shelf in my bedroom. 


Normally, This Would Cause for Concern retails for $24.99 and is now available in bookstores/online (in case you're curious, my favorite place to by books online is Amazon.com!). If you're looking for a new read, I highly recommend this! If you want to see Danielle Fishel in her latest show, she's currently starring in Boy Meets World spin off show Girl Meets World, reprising her old role, on Disney Channel. 

Do you watch Boy Meets World?
Alyssa



Disclaimer: I am not affilated with Danielle Fishel or her publishing company! I just wanted to share this experience and give a mini review of her book.


No comments:

Post a Comment