Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Craft Corner: DIY Decorated Binders

While shopping for my Back-to-School supplies a few weeks ago, I realized how ridiculously expensive binders have gotten over the past few years. I mean, seriously, couldn't you used to a get a binder for two bucks on sale at Staples? Since I didn't feel like blowing all of my cash on school supplies, I asked my dad to bring home some from work. Luckily, he did, but they were all plain, black, and boooooring. So I decided to spruce them up a bit.


You will Need:
  • A plain binder in your choice of color
  • Patterned construction paper. I got a pack of 36, 6x6 sheets at Target for around $5
  • Index cards in an assortment of colors corresponding with the construction paper
  • Scissors
  • Elmer's Glue (I actually ended up touching up the corners with some Crazy Glue, but didn't photograph it!)\




Start off by cutting off a 1-1&1/2 inch wide strip from the sheet of construction paper. Set aside the strip. Apply a light layer of glue to the back of an index card (I used a pink one to match the pink in the chevron pattern of the paper) and stick onto the center of the construction paper, centering it.


Take another index card and cut off a strip off of the height side, slightly less wide than the strip cut from the construction paper. Dot on Elmer's Glue and apply the index card piece to the construction paper strip, locating it more to one end. 



Using Crazy Glue or a hot glue gun (make sure to have adult help if you're younger in both cases) attach the larger piece to the front of the binder and the longer, thinner piece to the spine. Press down lightly with your fingers for about thirty seconds or so to ensure that the paper is pressed on to the binder securely. I wrote the subject on the spine of my binder, but you can also write it on the front!



As you can see, I've decorated four of my binders in this fashion, all using different patterns of construction paper and different index cards on top! What I love about these is that they're cute, girly, fun, and totally customizable, but they're not over the top or too flashy. 


Do you like personalized school/office supplies?
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment